Flat earthers argue the earth is a flat plane with the North Pole in the center and Antarctica is a ring enclosing the oceans. The equator a circle half-way between the Noth Pole in the center and the outer ring that is Antartica. So this model requires that the distances per degree of latitude start at zero at the North Pole and increase up the equator. On a globe the circumference of the equator is the largest and as you cross the equator into the south the distance per degree of latitude will decrease until eventually it becomes zero at the South Pole. In the flat earth model, however, we would expect the distance per degree of latitude to continue to increase all the way up to the Antarctica ring at the edge of the circular flat earth.
Nowadays there is some support from science that in fact the southern part of the “globe” is larger than the northern part and we have Neil De Grass Tyson declaring that the earth is “pear shaped”.
So there does appear to be some discrepancy. Flat earthers quote reports of ships attempting to circumnavigate Antarctica and finding the distance far greater than they expected and examples of navigators getting lost and going off course in the Southern Hemisphere and they suggest this is because the earth is not a globe and therefore distances in the south are not what we expect them to be.
They also give examples of measuring the distance covered by one degree of latitude in the south and comparing it with the distance covered by one degree of latitude at the same longitude in the north. I have done some of these calculations myself and it does seem there is a discrepancy. For example I got results suggesting the circumference of the globe in Australia was larger than it was at the equator. But I could have made a mistake. However this does seem to be an area where research is needed as it seems to be rather simple to determine if such a discrepancy exists or not.
Of course scientists no longer believe the earth is a globe. Many say it is an oblate spheroid, a squashed globe, and more recently we have their claim that it is now pear shaped.
Conclusion: If the Southern Hemisphere is not actually symmetrical with the Northern Hemisphere it may not prove the earth is flat, but certainly would prove the earth is not a globe.
Supporting Flat Earth Proofs
- 35) If the Earth were truly a globe, then every line of latitude south of the equator would have to measure a gradually smaller and smaller circumference the farther South travelled. If, however, the Earth is an extended plane, then every line of latitude south of the equator should measure a gradually larger and larger circumference the farther South travelled. The fact that many captains navigating south of the equator assuming the globular theory have found themselves drastically out of reckoning, moreso the farther South travelled, testifies to the fact that the Earth is not a ball.
- 36) During Captain James Clark Ross’s voyages around the Antarctic circumference, he often wrote in his journal perplexed at how they routinely found themselves out of accordance with their charts
- 37) Lieutenant Charles Wilkes commanded a United States Navy exploration expedition to the Antarctic from 1838 to 1842, and in his journals also mentioned being consistently east of his reckoning, sometimes over 20 miles in less than 18 hours.
- 38) To quote Reverend Thomas Milner, “In the southern hemisphere, navigators to India have often fancied themselves east of the Cape when still west, and have been driven ashore on the African coast, which, according to their reckoning, lay behind them.
- 39) Practical distance measurements taken from “The Australian Handbook, Almanack, Shippers’ and Importers’ Directory” state that the straight line distance between Sydney and Nelson is 1550 statute miles. Their given difference in longitude is 22 degrees 2’14”. Therefore if 22 degrees 2’14” out of 360 is 1550 miles, the entirety would measure 25,182 miles. This is not only larger than the ball-Earth is said to be at the equator, but a whole 4262 miles greater than it would be at Sydney’s southern latitude on a globe of said proportions.
- 40) From near Cape Horn, Chile to Port Philip in Melbourne, Australia the distance is 10,500 miles, or 143 degrees of longitude away. Factoring in the remaining degrees to 360 makes for a total distance of 26,430 miles around this particular latitude, which is over 1500 miles wider than Earth is supposed to be at the equator, and many more thousands of miles wider than it is supposed to be at such Southern latitudes.
- 41) Similar calculations made from the Cape of Good Hope, South Africa to Melbourne, Australia at an average latitude of 35.5 degrees South, have given an approximate figure of over 25,000 miles, which is again equal to or greater than the Earth’s supposed greatest circumference at the equator. Calculations from Sydney, Australia to Wellington, New Zealand at an average of 37.5 degrees South have given an approximate circumference of 25,500 miles, greater still! According to the ball-Earth theory, the circumference of the Earth at 37.5 degrees Southern latitude should be only 19,757 statute miles, almost six thousand miles less than such practical measurements.
- 42) In the ball-Earth model Antarctica is an ice continent which covers the bottom of the ball from 78 degrees South latitude to 90 and is therefore not more than 12,000 miles in circumference. Many early explorers including Captian Cook and James Clark Ross, however, in attempting Antarctic circumnavigation took 3 to 4 years and clocked 50-60,000 miles around. The British ship Challenger also made an indirect but complete circumnavigation of Antarctica traversing 69,000 miles. This is entirely inconsistent with the ball model.